Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What makes you an artist?

     Sometimes you have to ask yourself the hard questions. What makes you an artist? Are you a master? Who makes that decision? What degree do you have? Do you have to go to art school to be an artist? What makes you better than me, or anyone else for that matter? Is art limited to pens and paper? I don't know the answer to those questions. I think that anyone can be an artist. To me art is not limited to just pen and paper or any of the other "approved" medium for that matter. I feel like there are no rules to art there are many different styles that people can learn from to help their skills. 

     As far as graffiti, I think that it is an art. It does not matter that it is illegal. It is a way for people to express themselves. I knew a lot of people who did graffiti and it seemed like they needed it to express themselves. It is an emotional release. I think that you have to look at it in both ways that is someone came out and said that painting on canvas was illegal, that it was not art and that all paintings in the world were going to be destroyed. There would be many mad painters in the world. The same example could be changed to include music and dancing. These are all ways that people can express themselves.   With that being said the real question then would be; what would artist do without art?


This is another Banksy piece that clearly is saying something. Even though the troops have guns all they want is peace. There is something that is so contradicting about "fighting for peace."


I am not sure who did the painting but it has a clear message that states that you can change something. You voice not only matters but you voice will be heard. 


This is a piece that was done by me in 2009. I was really affected by the death of my dog. I but all my emotion into this drawling. For me art is a release of my motions and I am not sure what I would do if I did not have it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment